CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

"Kitty"

Emma has begun babbling using lots of consanants and lots of syllables. Normally this sounds like another language with a few "ma-ma's, da-da's, and ba-ba's" thrown in the mix. (We pretend that she know what they mean.)

This morning, I was sitting on the couch with Emma getting her ready. She looked into the dining room where Jack (our cat) was stretched out on the floor. "Kitty." She said, "Kitty." Just those two syllables. I know it was probably just one of those cool coincidents that we get to witness occassionaly.

I've wondered, though, if sometimes babies know in their mind that Jack is a kitty but they just can't get their mouthes to work right yet. In their head thinking, "Kitty, kitty, kitty, Jack is a kitty," but when they open their mouth it comes out, "grbrammm." And then, sometimes, they get lucky and it comes out just the way the intended it.

Yeah, probably not.

4 comments:

Mae said...

That's so cute! I bet she said it for real. :) She loves her lion. I've read that babies understand language long before they can articulate it. (That's why the sign-language thing can work.) Ian and I decided it's the real deal (even if that's not true). ;)

Jill said...

I agree. She totally said it. She is gifted! Really Mae is right...that is why it is iportant of read to your child from very early on.

crisco said...

Of course she knowingly (sp) said Kitty. Afterall she is my granddaughter! You must have been so excited Mandy. With outstanding parents like you and Kev I'd bet anything Emma is a girl with alot on her mind and once she gets these sounds down she'll take off like a rocket! I totally agree with Mae & Jill.

Ian said...

If our Connor Cat can say "Pooka" (which he has, I swear, ask Mae), Emma can definitely say "Kitty"