CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Consider your birth order


Our pastor at church has been preaching on a series entitled "Pain in the Family." This week's sermon was all about sibling rivalry and birth order. He used the stories of Jacob and Esau and Joseph and his envious brothers. God used the rivalry between both these sets of brothers for His holy plan.
Our pastor challenged us to examine the birth order in our own family and what implications that has for our purpose within our family and for God.
As many of you know, I am the oldest of 4. My next closest sibling, Laura, is 10 years younger than me and the twins, Eric and Lindsey, are 14 years younger. Growing up, I begrudged them so much. Because I was so much older, I called myself the live-in babysitter because that's all I seemed to do. I despised the fact that they followed me everywhere, always wanted in my room and that, yes, I even had to take them on dates sometimes!! I know, can you believe it?
Anyway, I have later said that since I had more of a motherly role with them I feel we are closer now than we would have been had we all been closer in age. This was a blessing in December of 2006 when our mom died. Because I was so much older, I feel like they were able to look to me as a strong comfort and almost maternal figure. I was able to comfort and hold them in a way that no one else could, not even our fathers. I am thankful to God for His wisdom and His blessing upon our family and birth order.
I look now to Emma and wonder how God will use her as the oldest child in her family. I pray that God blesses her and reveals His plan to her. God bless all of you, my dear friends and family today!

2 comments:

crisco said...

What a beautiful sharing Mandy. It is so true how mysterious His ways are. We would often comment how Kevin (or should I say "Bardo") was getting such good experience in child care. Little did any of us know what the future had in store. While you have and are a strong loving presence in your siblings, I am so grateful His plan put Kevin as your safe harbor. Continued prayers and love from your mom-in-law. Give you a hug if I could.

Missy and Brad said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful thoughts. I loved Dr. Baxter's sermon on siblings. I've been blessed with an amazing brother and sister...I wish I had not taken them for granted growing up. I didn't realize there was such an age differen between you and your siblings. I'm glad that God has given you the strength to be a rock for them through a very difficult time.
Blessings and hugs,
Missy