CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Please, no autographs; I can't read yet"


This is kinda long, but bear with me.


So, I know it's cliche when people always say, "I know I'm probably bias but my baby is the cutest baby in the whole world." I'm beginning to think Emma really is the fairest baby in all the land.


People are constantly telling Kevin and I how gorgeous Emma is, how long her eyelashes are, how blue her eyes are, what a pretty smile she has, blah blah blah. I truly feel burdened by it sometimes. I hate it. Now before you start thinking I have nothing to complain about and I should be thankful, let me explain a few things. Lets go back to when I was pregnant....


**Imagine Wayne and Garth wiggling their fingers and saying "Dodudo, dodudo, dodudo"**


Kev and I teased each other constantly that we were probably going to have an ugly baby but hopefully she'd have a great personality to make up for it. Our "joking" escalated to the point that I was actually afraid we really might have an unattractive baby which would lead to no one liking her, she'd never get picked for dodge ball, no date for prom, no college scholarship, etc. (You can see I easily let things snowball in my mind). Anyway, I had a dream one night that totally changed my fears. I dreamed that I had just had the baby and was still in the hospital with her. I was holding her swaddled in my arms just staring at her. I was overcome with this sense of joy and pride and peace. I look up at my friend and say, "Wow, what a beautiful baby." "Yeah," my friend says, "you hardly even notice she only has one eye." What!?!?! In my dream, my baby was a Cyclops. The thing is, she was mine so in my eyes she was flawless; I truly didn't even notice that she only had one eye! I realized that, as a mom, I'm never going to look at Emma and worry about whether or not she's pretty nor will it matter to me.


Ok, now fast-forward to today. Emma's daycare sends little "report cards" home telling us about her day. Today's note said, "I should be in a fashion show with my pretty purple outfit and gorgeous blue eyes!" Now I know that they are just trying to give a compliment. Or, maybe they couldn't think of anything productive from the afternoon so they were making something up. The point is, I fear that she will continue to be so beautiful, that's all people will notice. Again, I know, I know, I'm snowballing. I know that beauty is from God and beauty can be part of God's plan (just ask Esther). I just pray that Emma will have a heart for Christ a and soul as beautiful as her dimples. I pray that people notice her for her character not just her cuteness.


I know I'm just on a rant. (Thanks for listening). And please, don't stop telling me Emma is cute. I always love to tell mommas how precious their baby is, too. Maybe I've had too much coffee today...

2 comments:

Jill said...

I loved the wayne & garth moment! I laughed outloud. Your little girlie is beautiful and I know you guys are already raising her in a way that will only continue to make her beautiful on the inside as well. We miss you all very much and are hoping to visit soon!

crisco said...

I can totally relate. Pop & I would look at each other, eyebrows raised in silent question. We knew we thought each other was just "the most". In our own heads we thought of our selves as average. We were at a loss when out at dinner a sr citizin (sp) wanted to give us money to buy/put back for this "cutie". Honestly happened w/Gen & Mae. By the time the family was complete the comments became "you two make the most beautiful babies! Why stop at 5?" Through the grace of God and our best efforts we managed to raise exterior/interior some beautiful kids. So say "Thanks", give each other a kiss,keep doing what your doing and Miss Emma will turn out fine. Love each of you 3 more than you'll ever know.